Sunday, March 14, 2010

The ANIMAL is back!

Buoyed by the support of great friends and the TNT practice tri - today I am back on track feeling like my usual self!  This morning when I woke up (despite the one hour loss due to the change to DST) I felt ready to tackle the day - something I haven't felt in awhile.
It was a beautiful morning and I had plenty of time to get coffee and fuel up before getting to attend Becky Lavelle's Tri Swim Clinic.  Great morning!  Thankfully she confirmed that my stroke isn't too far off track (yes, even though I haven't made it to masters' swim) and gave me some good things to work on to improve it.  She also shared her technique for sighting.... I've been doing it backwards.  I've been breathing then looking, but seems I should be looking, then breathing.  I'm going to try that out tomorrow some more!

After post-swim coffee with Austin and Ron, home to meet Julie for a sunny afternoon ride!  Didn't need anything more than my (new and of some comfy and cute Cappo) short-sleeve jersey and shorts  - never got cold even when the ride finished at nearly five!  Oh, March in Palo Alto! 

The ride was a bit more of an adventure than planned!  On the up-side, I tried out my newly installed aero-bars!  I was a little unsteady, but I think they're going to make me faster!!!   On the less up-side, I managed to go over a bump and get my front brake to rub and slow me down for a bit, then drop my chain, then get a soft back tire......  Optimistically I borrowed a pump and tried a little "cpr"....  at the bottom of the next hill, it was squishy again...... uh oh!  I got the tire changed with a minimal amount of confusion/frustration and didn't accept the very generous offers of help, except for the use of a pump!  The CO2 just wouldn't come out!!!??  (I still have some investigating to do on that one!)  On the up-side again - the tire held, it was good practice should I have to change a tire during a race and I was reminded of how great the cycling community is!  Every cyclist offered assistance (men and women).

Julie and I even managed to get a good off-the-bike run in after the ride thanks to DST and rewarded ourselves with a yummy recovery shake!

You know The Animal is back when even a flat tire is no big deal!  I'm even looking forward to a 2 hour run tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. Turns out I had instructions for using the CO2 on my bike. Lets study up and practice on Thursday. -J

    ReplyDelete